Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wedding Memories: Part One

Here are a few pictures and memories from the big day, oh, 2.5 months ago.  It can’t believe it’s been that long.  Time has just flown by.
D and I didn’t spend the night before the wedding apart.  We talked about it briefly, but both agreed that it seemed unnecessary, logistically complicated, and that we each slept better when we were next to each other.  I’m so, so glad we did it this way.  The week leading up to the wedding was incredibly stressful, and crawling under the covers with him every night provided a brief, calm oasis.

I fell into a deep, exhausted sleep every single night that week except for the night before the big day.  I tossed and turned, checked the time, counted sheep, and finally at about three in the morning as I lay there staring at the ceiling, worrying about the next day, I realized D wasn’t breathing his usual deep, sleep-driven breaths, and so I whispered into the dark “Are you awake?”  His big strong voice boomed out “So awake” and we both started laughing uncontrollably.
The next morning before heading to the venue we stopped at Jo’s, my favorite Austin coffee shop that we’d been going to all week, and as I stood quietly in line to place my order I wanted to shout out “I’m getting married today!”  But instead I just stood there smiling and smiling at the thrill of keeping such a big secret to myself.  

We arrived at the venue at 8am for the run-through, before everyone scattered for their various wedding-related errands, and it was cold and crisp and dewey out.  We were all standing around in the weak morning sunshine, with sleepy eyes and sleepy hair, in gym shorts or soft jeans and mismatched college sweatshirts.  I kept thinking “Is this really happening today? In just a few hours? Am I really getting married?"
Not one for crowds, I was nervous during the rehearsal, looking around and trying to imagine it filled with guests in just a few hours.  Both of our moms were crying already, sitting in the empty front row with only a few chairs set up behind them, clutching kleenex and each other.

After we’d finished rehearsing, and I was headed to get my hair done, I got a call about a wedding mishap, and I calmly said “Thank you for this information, and I appreciate all your help, but for the rest of the day I don’t want to know if anything goes wrong.  If you need get ahold of someone, please call our wedding coordinator.”  And my phone didn’t ring for the rest of the day.  Maybe nothing else went wrong, or maybe I was just too deliriously happy to notice.

7 comments:

iris said...

Lovely photos! Also, smart move on the coordinator. Who wants to hear about all the little stuff that can go wrong?! Little stuff, pfft.

NEED MOAR PHOTOS!

Marisa A. said...

love it. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided it was just not worth figuring out the logistics of spending the night before the wedding apart. If I'm honest, I did want to, I thought it'd be really fun to spend the night with my two bridesmaids like a good old fashioned slumber party. But when I tried to figure out hotel rooms, it just got to be too much and I was like screw it, we've been living together for how long, who are we kidding?

Amber said...

So sweet and yes those are gorgeous photos! I can't wait to see more!

I have heard from a few friends that they wanted to sleep with their SO the night before the wedding and I think it's a great idea if it makes you sleep better. Since Eric and I did long distance and I have traveled so much solo I never have a problem sleeping without him (and sometimes sleep better on my own teehee) but I do know I would miss having him next to me at night if it was for longer than 2-4 nights apart!

I love how you were standing in line for coffee and secretly smiling to yourself because you knew you were getting married that day -- so sweet!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love that you had a crossword puzzle made! That is THE COOLEST! I am looking forward to reading more recaps and seeing more photos. The venue looks so gorgeous!

Janssen said...

Oh this is so beautiful! Can't wait to see more of it.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

You probably heard this about training for a marathon, but they always say your most important night of sleep is two night before the big race, because the night before you are more apt to have race day jitters, which contribute to poor sleep. The same thing OBVIOUSLY holds true for weddings, too! Also, love that the two of you laughed about being away in the middle of the night.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I love how you answered the phone and basically just told them to let you have your day. A few little things didn't go as I had planned the day of, but they were so minor and didn't really matter in the big picture.