Friday, February 01, 2013

Superfrugality Month 2013: Let's Do This

Every year since 2007, I have spent the month of February trying to save more and spend less, which once D started playing along became known as Superfrugality Month.  Now that we’re heading into my sixth year and D’s third, we’ve got the rules down and have actually started to look forward to this little exercise.  The parameters are:

1.  No unnecessary purchases.  This means no eating out, no buying coffee, no vending machine runs in the middle of the afternoon when I’d rather have chips than my apple from home.  No unnecessary purchases.
2.  This doesn’t mean we can go wild at the grocery store either to make up for not eating out.  We can buy stuff we usually would (including, occasionally, chips or a cookie) but I can’t go nuts with new beauty products or other stuff we don’t need or wouldn’t normally buy.
3.  If I have plans for a drink or dinner out, and these arrangements were made before February started, I can still go and spend money--there’s no need to isolate myself from my friends for an entire month.  There are only two things like this on my calendar, and I’ve been trying to invite people over for drinks/coffee/dessert instead.  I’m always happy to host.
4.  Seriously, no unnecessary purchases.  With a strict interpretation of the word “unnecessary.”  

We’re able to keep ourselves from going insane by taking advantage of free stuff going on around the city, using the library like it’s our job, and spending a few nights at home watching movies or playing board games.  It’s a nice reminder that we don’t need to spend a bunch of money to have fun.

So, for the next 28 days we're going to save and be as frugal as possible.  This will help us build up a little cushion to take to Italy in March.  I plan to spend my slush fund on gelato and pizza, and when it comes down to that or another coffee from Starbucks, the authentic Italian pizza is going to be more than worth it.

In case you're interested in playing along at home, here's a look back at how I did in 2011 and 2012.  It's totally doable and totally worth it.  Who's with me?

5 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

It's kind of like Lent, only you can still drink beer and eat red meat, so long as it was purchased at the store and off your regular shopping list. ha.

Kristina Richie said...

I love superfrugality month! Unfortunately, since I'm spending the first two weeks of Feb. in NYC for work, there's no way I'm going to be able to play this year since I'll be eating out for literally every meal :/

I look forward to reading how your month goes though, and that authentic pizza or cappuccino will be SO worth it in March! :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Good luck! I would join you but February is my birthday month so I kind of feel like I owe it to myself to treat myself to a few extra coffees and maybe a book purchase. But I think it's a great idea!

Phil and I went the entire month of December without eating out, unintentionally! I mean we eat ate lunches out (once a week for me, every day for him), but we did not eat out for dinner at all and instead stayed in and cooked!

iris said...

Yeah...not happening. I just spent $70 on a accommodations in a Buddhist temple in a city ~1 hour from me. I do not see frugality in the near future for me ;)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I will be following along loosely! Normally I am pretty frugal and I don't really eat out much, but over the last two months, I have been going out on Fridays for Happy Hour and then again on the weekend, so I really need to curb that, not only for my wallet, but for my waistline! My work pants are getting a little snug! Thanks for the inspiration!