Thursday, May 24, 2012

Give Pittsburgh a Chance: Go to a Pirates Game

A few weeks ago, in the thick of studying for finals, D's good friend from high school was randomly in town with his family to go to a Pirates game.  They'd gotten good seats for a great price and called to see if we wanted in on the action.  Since we were both itching for a break (see also: finals) we jumped at the chance.  Which is how, without any planning, I crossed another thing off two different lists (Life List and Give Pittsburgh a Chance List) and went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game.


 We'd heard over and over that while the Pirates weren't the best team in the league, the stadium was at the top of the list.  It is pretty nice, especially when compared to the only other baseball stadium I've been to, Wrigley Field.  It's just a little newer--Wrigley was built in 1914 and I think PNC Park opened in 2001.

 However, they still pack you in pretty tight, like little baseball-loving sardines.  I took this picture not so you could see a cut off photo of my big forehead but so that you knew my pain when I said I was practically sitting in this large gentleman's lap.  Seriously you guys, the back of my head was about three inches from his crotch.  I tried not to think about it.

Luckily, with 70-degree weather and a beautiful view of downtown, it was easy to direct my mind to other things.  I ate delicious soft serve ice cream and we we won the game, so that was fun.  I can definitely see myself going back soon.  After growing up in a town without any major sports teams (although Austin sure does up college sports right) it's kinda fun to have a home team to cheer for.  Now if we could only keep winning...

9 comments:

Kaorichan said...

Hahahaha. Love the crotch picture. That does look incredibly close!

I agree, my love for baseball has much more to do with growing up in a city with a MLB team (the first MLB team in history! Woo go Reds!) and having hometown pride/something to root for. The game itself is enjoyable, but can get boring after a while. But that's when you just start eating overpriced ballpark food to get you through the end of the game ;)

I'm so glad you're starting to like Pittsburgh these days! I TOLD you you'd come around. It just takes time :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

There is something to be said about baseball. Baseball stadiums are such a fun atmosphere to spend a few hours, especially when you're at Wrigley cheering for the CARDINALS!!! Awwww, yeah!!!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oh fun! I am glad you got to cross that off of TWO lists. Admittedly, I am not a big sports fan, but I do enjoy going to games in an outdoor stadium. They built a new Twins stadium a couple of years ago and it's really fun to go, especially on a nice night!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That looks like fun! I love going to baseball games! I have been to Wrigley, which is old but also has a lot of history that some of the newer parks don't have. Our stadium was built in 1999 or 2000 I think, so it's nice, but there is something about Fenway and Wrigley and the older stadiums that is pretty special! I am glad you got to sit next to that guy's crotch! :)

ReeseAnnaJean said...

Living in an MLB town is AWESOME. We've been to three (or maybe four?) Astros games already, and we're going again next week! I even got to see the BRAVES, the best team ever, crush Houston. I was the awkward girl in the stadium cheering for the other side. Much fun.

Charissa said...

My, you are right! He WAS close to you. So funny.

letters to my little love said...

What a fun game. That is a ballpark I haven't been to (we go to Fenway mostly), but maybe some day.

Camels & Chocolate said...

I lived in NYC for a couple years and not only did I never make it to Pitt, but I also haven't ever visited Philly! Blasphemy, this I know.

iris said...

The cmu Grad Students Association has Pirates tickets ($5 for a ticket with $10 worth of food) for sale at least once or twice a year. It's worth looking out for if you enjoyed yourself the first time!