Wednesday, January 06, 2010

A Year of Books: Week 1

I'm going to start this New Year's Resolution thing out slowly, with Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky. It's only 160 pages and so far, a quick read. This book is the second by Nemirovsky to be published posthumously, after her book Suite Fraincaise garnered much praise. I read Suite Francaise a few years ago and like it very much. But then again, I have a soft spot in my heart for World War II France, since that's where and when my dad was born and all (which means he is not, in fact, a baby boomer. I realized that a few years ago and it still sounds odd). I have high hopes for Fire in the Blood.

I've also been compiling a list of books that I'd like to read, perhaps this year. I'm going to try to branch out a bit from the current "all fiction, all the time, probably written by a woman" trend I've been on. So far I've got:
Dancing in the Dark: A Cultural History of the Great Depression by Morris Dickstein (This book sounds kind of dry but the Great Depression just fascinates me. I'm gonna give it a shot)
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (I've heard it's kinda weird and it IS fiction, written by a woman, but I have to read this. I've decided I'm A Fan of Niffenegger)
Lost in the Meritocracy: the Undereducation of an Overachiever by Walter Kirn
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (The Slate Political Gabfesters LOVE this book. I want to see what all the fuss is about)
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (Linda of Sundry keeps raving about this book. Maybe it'll get me off my butt and running more often! Or...make me feel woefully inadequate as an athlete)
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
Fat Girl by Judith Moore
Freedom Summer by Doug Mcadam (This book is written about the "Freedom Summer" of 1964 and the experiences of the white northern college students who traveled to the south to register black voters)
Open by Andre Agassi (I heard an interview with Agassi on the NY Times BookWorld Podcast and he has a surprising (to me) commitment to education. Sounds like he's had an interesting life story)
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama (Read Dreams From My Father and loved it)
Stones Into Schools by Greg Mortenson (Read Three Cups of Tea and loved it)

Also, have you guys ever started to read a book only to realize that you've already read it? But forgot that you'd read it? I found Three Junes at my parents' house and was going to read it on the plane ride back to Chicago. I was seriously at least 20 pages into the book before I realized I'd read it before. Sheesh. A bit worrying, no? I'm 25 and losing my memory. Plus then I didn't have anything to read for the plane ride.

No comments: